Wednesday, February 27, 2013

DIY Haircolor

I've been asked to do a post on doing your own haircolor, so here it is!  I have been coloring my own hair for years now. My grandmother was a hairdresser and taught my mom and me all of the tricks of the trade. She used to perm my hair and color my hair while cooking dinner in our kitchen. She was a great woman and a master at her craft.
As I was growing up, I remember my hair being all of the colors of the rainbow, well, except maybe purple.... I loved and still do love trying new colors and new styles. My hair has been so long it touched the top of my bottom, to so short that I could spike it up and every length in between. I have had red hair, brown with highlights, my natural dirty blonde, and platinum...which is what it is right now.My hubby likes it when its sort of short and blonde, the lighter the better, in his opinion.

Over the years, I have found out a few things through mistakes I've made and I'm sure that as I continue to color my own hair I will find a few more things out....but the basic coloring techniques will never change.

My grandmother taught me that if you are doing all over color from a drugstore brand that you need to pick 1 to 2 shades darker than what you want your color to be....especially blonde colors. Blonde colors tend to either be to green or to yellow. The green color you may see is where the color contains an ash base. I tend to stay away from ash based colors because I don't like the greenish undertone it turns my hair. If you don't leave the color on to long, it can turn brassy or yellow so make sure you leave it on long enough to cut through this stage in the coloring process.

Brunettes...when picking a shade of brown make sure you pick one that will compliment your skin tone. If you have a paler complexion...you might want to go to a deeper shade with red undertones. If you have a darker, more tan, complexion, you might want to choose a chesnut color with a few golden highlights.

Red heads...I have been a red head before, but I have always let my hair stylist do it. Red makes me a little nervous....knowing my luck I would be orange instead of a beautiful shade of red. My suggestion would be to stick with a hair colorist that you like and trust and knows your coloring history.

I have highlighted my own hair for years and have found that I prefer the L'Oreal brand for my hair, but this is something you will have to try for yourself to see what brand works best for you.  That brand just works well with the texture of my hair and is very forgiving in the application. I always follow the instructions in the box and if I ever have any questions I have found the helpline numbers they give you really does help.

I'm not an expert by any means, so please don't hold me to any standard, but I hope this has helped you to determine if you want to attempt to color your own hair or stay with your colorist. I know sometimes it can be hard to find time to go get your hair colored, with all of the demands that us women go through on a daily basis. Saying that...I also enjoy going and having my hair done...it gives me some time to myself and to chat with other women in the salon and to treat myself.

No matter what...I always have fun with my hair and realize that it can always be fixed if I goof it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment