Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monday's Cabin Project for school

Our whole day yesterday was consumed with building a cabin from a book that my youngest son has been reading for school.
We had so much fun all of us pitching in to help him... But I didn't realize all of the steps.
There were certain criteria that he had to put into his project.
The pictures are of all of the things we had to do to build such a country cabin.
I especially love the picture of my son on the mule going out to gather all of the rock and sticks we needed. He loves driving that thing... Haha!
We also had to make a flour paste for the chinking that went in between the sticks and that was a gooey mess.... Oh but what fun!
It took us all about four hours or so to finish it and he gets to present it today to his class. He is really excited about his cabin but not having to present it.

Have you ever helped your children with a school project and how long did it take to do it?


This is the finished product!
We had to put it into the freezer for the flour paste chinking to harden.

This is the garden.

We used pincones for the trees. I had bought these at Christmas time for decorations.

This is "the plot of land" that the cabin was on. It's an old pizza box from our pizza dinner the night before...HAHA! WE covered it in brown wrapping paper and hot glued grass from our yard and pinecones as trees.

This is the inside of the of the cabin and this is the table and stools with a true dirt floor.

This is the fireplace that my daughter helped my son build. The rocks are from around our farm and the flames are made from a red Solo cup...That song just popped into my head...lol.

This is the chinking betewwen the sticks. it's made from flour and water that I made into a paste and spread with our fingers and smoothed with a butter knife.

The cabin had to have a chimney so we put down an piece of parchment paper and then hot glued the rocks in a stack and removed it from the parhcment and glued it to the roof.

We covered the roof with this moss ribbon I found at Walmart. IT was cheap and I had just enough to cover the whole top of the roof.

This is the flour paste! It's gooey when you forst strart working with it...we had so much fun with this stuff! It hardens and it sets but if you need to hurry the process,  you can stick it in the freezer after applying.

We hot glued the sticks my son found, around the farm, to the box that we had covered with the same brown wrapping paper as the "plot of land".

 


My son driving the mule to go and scout out all of the things we needed off the farm for the project.

This is the PILE of sticks that he can back with plopped onto my kitchen floor,,,,that boys just makes me laugh!

2 comments:

  1. I hear parents complain of having to do projects, but I love them. For one, it has you work as a family, for two, it's creativity, for three, you could enter it in your local county fair. HA!

    Our last project was making a harp for Annie. They are studying sound in science so they had to make something that could change in pitch. This was actually a daughter-dad project because it involved power tools. So, get out there and bond with your kid. (although I know all who are reading this blog are great, bonding parents)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crochetmommie...that's an excellent thought and wonderful encouragement! I agree with you completely. Our children are only at the stage once in a lifetime and we should take advantage of every opportunity we have to help them grow and spend time with them.

    ReplyDelete