Monday, February 25, 2013

baked apples

My family loves baked apples! I usually fix them with a honey- brown sugar glazed ham and mashed potatoes and biscuits. Whenever someone asks my kids what their favorite food is they describe this whole meal, not just one thing...makes me smile:).
My baked apples recipe is extremely easy and can be made in advance and refridgerated or cooked in the crock pot.

HERE ARE THE INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
6 Granny Smith apples....they are tart and go well with the sweetness of the spices
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1tsp. cinnamom
1tsp. apple pie spice
1tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 packed brown sugar (light or dark...whatever you have in your pantry)
1/2 stick unsalted butter
zest of 1 orange and the juice (optional)


Peel, dice and core all of the apples. I usually leave a little bit of the peel on for the nutrients.
Add the flour, all of the spices, brown sugar and butter to the bowl. Mix until all of the apples are well coated.
Put into a baking dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 mins covered with foil. remove the foil and bake an additional 10 mins uncovered.

You can alos do this in a crock pot, as I said earlier, and if you decide to cook them this way, follow all of the steps above just put it in the crock pot and cook on low for 2-3 hours.


I hope y'all enjoy!



 








No comments:

Post a Comment