Monday, March 25, 2013

Country Gal visits the Windy City

Hi yall! I know it's been a while since I've blogged but its been extremely busy around here. We have been trying to get the new store ready to open and last week Gracie an I went to Chicago for a school trip.
We had such a great three days in the Windy City. We experienced city life to its fullest! The group that we went with know how to laugh a lot and make exhaustion fun!
Our trip started with a 5 AM flight on Wednesday with 22 people in our group. We landed and retrieved our luggage and hopped on the L train to our hotel. ( what an experience on the L... Lets just say we got the true big city experience!)
We had enough time to drop off our luggage and off we went. Our first stop was the Willis Tower, only to find out that we still had an hour before it opened for tours. So, we all decided to stop in at a coffee shop to caffeine up for the day ahead.
Once we were at the Willis Tower, we ride the elevator to the 103rd floor to look out on the city. What a sight! Beautiful! The Tower has what they call the Skydeck which has a section that has glass fliers and walls. Gracie braved her fear of heights and went out so I could snap a quick picture of her with the city behind her and below her...lol!
We also had the opportunity to visit the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. It was very interesting and we were able to grab a couple of bags of shredded money to bring back home with us.
Next stop on our big city adventure was to grab us some art culture at the Art Institute of Chicago. I have to say there was some amazing art but there was some art that I looked at and thought, "Really,that's art!" For instance, a blank canvas that had been framed and a huge dead tree branch.... Really?! We all got a big laugh out of it anyway:).
On our way back to the hotel, we stopped and took some hilarious pics at the mirrored bean. I have to say, the mirrored bean was impressive to this country gal:).
We got back to the hotel via L train again and got to rest for about an hour and then headed to the Greek Islands restaurant for dinner. The food was very different and I'm glad that I got to try some different cuisine but I've learned that I'm not a big fan of Greek food( sorry to those out there who are fans of Greek food). Finally, we make our trek back to hotel in 3 degree weather.... Freezing!!!!! We all passed out after a very long and full day!
The next day we were up early again to explore more of the city and our first stop was Field Museum. It was very interesting but we didn't have enough time to see everything. After the Field Museum, we travelled public transportation again, to see Blue Man Group. Those three men were AMAZING!!!!!! I have to say that was my favorite thing we did the whole trip... (Well other then visiting the Ghirardelli store on Michigan Ave.). If you haven't seen the Blue Man Group... You must go and check them out!!!!!
That evening we visited the Hershey store and Macy's on Michigan Avenue and then went to Gino's for some Chicago style pizza:). Yummy!
The last day was an early start again. We visited the Shedd Aquarium and the Science and Industry Museum. By the time we got to Science and Industry we were all so tired we didn't get to see a lot of the exhibits.
We hopped or should I say slowly moved to get on our plane home and touched Kentucky soil a little after midnight.
We had three adventure filled days in the Windy City and loved every exhausted moment of it. I have decided that I want to go back to Chicago again... But this time to shop at all of the wonderful stores that I saw:). I see a girls trip to Chicago in my very near future:)!









No comments:

Post a Comment